Am I eligible for Medicare now?

Am I eligible for Medicare now?

Where is my Medicare card? How do I sign up? What are the costs? There seems to be a lot of confusion about the topic of signing up for Medicare, and this article aims to clear up the confusion and answer most of the questions you may have. If you already receive social security benefits at age 65, you will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, and your welcome packet, including your card, will be sent to you approximately three months before your birthday. If you want to keep Part B, do nothing and your benefits will begin on the first day of your birthday month.

The exception is that if you activate the first day of the month, your benefits will start on the first of the previous month. If you do not wish to keep Part B, please indicate it by checking the corresponding box on the back of the card, sign it and send it along with the completed form before the effective date on the front of the card. You will receive a new card with Part A benefits only.

Many people do not receive their cards and wonder why. It is very likely that they have delayed receiving your social security benefits! In the past, people received all social security benefits at age 65 and therefore received their Medicare automatically. Now that full social security benefits are not achieved until 66 or 67, people postpone their benefits. The problem is that they still need to start Medicare at age 65 and should do it alone by calling Social Security at 800-772-1213 or by visiting their website.

So how much will parts A and B cost? Medicare Part A is considered free for those who worked a minimum of 40 quarters and made payment for Medicare taxes. If you do not have enough credit hours, you can buy Part A for a monthly fee. The current cost for most people who signed up for Medicare Part B in 2011 is $115.40 and this is automatically deducted from your social security check every month if you started receiving social security benefits.

Your premium will be higher if your 2-year modified adjusted gross revenue exceeds $85,000 for individual filing or $170000 for joint filing. If you postpone your social security benefits and Part B starts, you will be charged every 3 months for the Part B premium. Remember that in addition to these costs, you can get medicare advantage plans will have to pay for some type of Medicare insurance, such as a supplement and a Part D drug plan. You can avoid some costs by signing a Medicare Advantage plan, such as Health spring, and United Healthcare.